10 May 2019
LOS ANGELES—Jim Butler, Chairman of JMBM’s Global Hospitality Group®, along with Jack Westergom of Manhattan Hospitality Advisors, will speak at the 4th Annual West Institutional Real Estate Investor Forum on June 5, 2019 in San Francisco on the topic of hotel investment. They will also conduct a roundtable discussion for investors who may be new to the hotel investment.
“Many institutional investors, family offices and other sophisticated real estate investors are looking to hotels to increase investment returns. While hotel investments can offer significantly higher cap rates and greater long-term profits, many investors realize they need experienced advisors to avoid pitfalls that might otherwise confront them,” said Butler. “This program will provide an introduction and guide to hotel investments for those looking into how this asset class fits into an investor’s portfolio.”
The morning presentation is entitled, “Time for a second look at Hotels: The hidden gem of asset classes.” It will cover the following:
- Fundamentals of hotel investment
- 3 reasons investors buy or build hotels
- What makes hotels different
- How much of a hotel’s value is due to the operating business
- Which hotel agreements have the most impact on value. How much impact?
- Who are the critical members of your hotel team
- Case studies for hotel investment – greater upside if done well, greater downside if done badly
- Why you should let experience be your guide
The afternoon roundtable discussion is “Lessons learned from a lifetime of hotel experience — The keys to unlocking Hotel investment potential and avoiding the pitfalls.” It will include the following:
- Back to basics for both the real estate and hotel business components
- Finding the gold in good times and bad
- More on why hotels attract institutional and opportunistic investors
- Tips, tricks and traps for hotel investment
- How to recruit a great hotel brand and operator
- Creating value with Hotel Management Agreements and Franchise Agreements
- Who manages the manager
- When to bring in the hotel experts
Butler and Westergom are both frequent speakers to the hotel industry and bring decades of hotel investment, financing, transaction and operating experience to the table.
The Forum takes place Wednesday, June 05, 2019 at the Marines’ Memorial Club & Hotel at 609 Sutter Street in San Francisco.
About the 4th Annual West Institutional Real Estate Investor Forum
The West Institutional Real Estate Investor Forum is a local peer to peer educational meeting exclusively for the institutional and HNW wealth management community with a specific focus on allocations to real estate. Click here for more information.
About JMBM’s Global Hospitality Group®
The hospitality attorneys in the Global Hospitality Group® of Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP comprise the premier hospitality practice in a full-service law firm, and the most experienced legal and advisory team in the industry. Our team of seasoned hotel lawyers has more than $87 billion in hotel transactions experience, involving more than 3,900 properties located around the globe providing one of the most extensive virtual data bases of market terms for deals and financings. Click here to see How JMBM’s Global Hospitality Group® Can Help.
About Manhattan Hospitality Advisors
Manhattan Hospitality Advisors (MHA), headquartered in Los Angeles, is a hospitality advisory firm created to assist developers, owners and investors of hospitality assets in maximizing value through asset management, management, receiverships, management/franchise contract negotiation, development project management, re-capitalization, creative marketing, and risk assessment. MHA offers a full-service platform that focuses on value creation via product enhancement, recapitalization and repositioning of properties.