08 May 2018
Today, at Meet the Money® – National Hotel Finance & Investment Conference, Mike Cahill, co-chairman of the Lodging Industry Investment Council (LIIC) and CEO and Founder of HREC Hospitality Real Estate Counselors, presents the annual LIIC Top Ten.
For more than ten years, LIIC, the industry’s preeminent think tank, has surveyed its members to determine challenges and opportunities for the coming year. LIIC’s members represent the direct acquisition and disposition control of more than $40 billion and include industry investors, lenders, corporate real estate executives, REITs, public hotel companies, brokers, and equity sources.
Here is the 2018 LIIC Top Ten
1. Hotel Real Estate – Floating Forward in a Fluid Market
- 2018’s survey results indicate “business as usual”
- Hotel transaction market is fluid; hotels are trading
- Solid hotel debt availability
- Private Equity and Listed REITs predicted to dominate the purchase of Upscale to Luxury hotels
- Small Private Buyers and Regional Owner/Operators predicted to dominate the purchase of Economy to Upper Midscale hotels
2. Trump is Good for Hotel Owners
67% believe Trump’s tax reform bill will positively affect hotel owners
- 41% citing an increase in GDP growth
- 28% citing a correlated increase in business travel
Positive outlook on US economy
- 70% believe the economy will continue to trend upwards in the next 24 months