As of January 31, 2017, JMBM’s team has closed more than $1.5 billion of EB-5 financing and sourced more than half of that for our clients!
[updates to blog originally published on 06 December 2014
JMBM is sourcing low-cost mezzanine capital for new construction through EB-5 financing for its top developer-clients.
To qualify for this program, the borrower must be an experienced developer with a superb track record, a superior reputation and a great project. If you don’t meet those threshold requirements, then don’t read any further, because this program does not apply to you.
If you are still reading, the question is: “Can you benefit from mezzanine financing with an all-in cost to you of approximately 7 – 78 per annum?”
If so, you may want to look into JMBM’s “preferred” EB-5 financing program which is summarized below.
Highlights of JMBM’s Preferred EB-5 Financing Program for new construction & development
|Financing type||Mezzanine debt or preferred equity|
|Cost||7 – 8% per annum, all-in cost to the developer|
|Loan size||$10 million – $200+ million|
|Term||5 – 6 years|
|Portion of the capital stack||25 – 35% of the total project cost (excluding land)|
Exactly what can JMBM do to help me with EB-5 financing for my development project?
Client confidentiality precludes us from listing clients and projects we have assisted with this program, but suffice it to say that some of the best known names in the business are tapping into this funding source to fill out their capital stack at a favorable cost. And we have helped some of the biggest and highest profile players.
JMBM has closed more than $1.5 billion of EB-5 financing and sourced more than half of that for our clients.
We specialize in representing developers and projects that we believe can qualify for “preferred” status. This concept is discussed in great detail in this article: “Hotel development financing: How to win the race for EB-5 capital.”
For developers and projects that qualify for “preferred” status, we provide business and legal advice to guide the developer through the entire capital raising process. This includes validating that the developer can qualify for the favorable financing and actually sourcing the capital. Here is a more complete list of how we can usually assist:
- Source EB-5 financing
- Evaluate EB-5 threshold feasibility
- Optimize developer profile and project structure
- Assemble the right “EB-5 team” with best players
- Help size and structure the capital stack
- Negotiate optimal deal terms with current input on what is “market”
- Negotiate and finalize funding documents with the capital source
- Validate EB-5 funding strategy
- Oversee issues in the capital raising process
- Close the financing
As the developer’s Counselor, we negotiate a fairly complex loan or preferred equity transaction in a regulatory environment that requires compliance with USCIS, SEC, & FINRA. This process also necessitates identifying, selecting, negotiating and coordinating with an immigration law firm, an economist, various hotel consultants and one or more regional centers to get your loan properly sized and documented.
From TEA designation through loan closing
As part of the financing process, for each EB 5 financing project we work with each client and appropriate members of the EB-5 team to do the following:
- Obtain a TEA map and letter of authorization from an economist
- Manage “new job count” issues for direct, indirect, and induced jobs to ensure compliance with EB-5 requirements of the USCIS to support the size of your EB-5 financing
- Assist in developing the proper business plan for your project
- Verify calculations from the economist and regional center and strategize best way to maximize loan size and terms for the developer
- Drive loan size to maximize the financing opportunity for the developer and optimize the capital stack
- Negotiate loan commitment and loan documents that reflect proper collateral, have appropriate escrow release provisions and security so terms will be acceptable to both the developer and to traditional construction lenders who may be in a senior lien position
- Negotiate and finalize inter-creditor agreements, escrow agreements, completion guarantees, various security agreements (depending upon collateral provided by the developer), and other related financing documents
Time to evaluate the right EB-5 strategy for you?
We have a lot of practical experience in helping our developer clients raise EB-5 funding. If you would like some help to evaluate whether EB-5 could work for you, or what strategy is best for you, then give us a call. There is no cost for an initial discussion.
Jim Butler, +1-310-201-3526 or firstname.lastname@example.org
David Sudeck, +1-310-201-3518 or email@example.com
Other articles on EB-5 Financing
To access our rich library of articles on EB-5 financing, go to www.HotelLawyer.com, scroll down the right-hand side under LEARN MORE ABOUT and click on “EB-5 Financing.” For your convenience, here are a few popular EB-5 articles that may be of interest:
This is Jim Butler, author of www.HotelLawBlog.com and hotel lawyer. We represent hotel owners, developers and investors. We have helped our clients find business and legal solutions for more than $71 billion of hotel transactions, involving more than 3,800 hotels. As of January 31, 2017, we have closed more than $1.5 billion of EB-5 financing for our clients’ projects, and sourced most of that. I invite you to contact me to explore how our experience and resources might help you accomplish your goals. 310.201-3526 or firstname.lastname@example.org